BBQ Prawns with Nam Jim Dressing
10 minutes prep.
3-5 minutes cooking
Serves Serves 4 as a light meal or starter
- ½ large cucumber, thinly sliced
- ½ bulb fennel, trimmed and thinly sliced, fronds reserved
- 1 spring onion, trimmed and thinly sliced
- ½ large red chilli, very finely sliced lengthways
- small handful mint leaves
- small handful coriander leaves
- 12 large raw king prawns, peeled and deveined, with tails intact
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- lime halves, to garnish
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ½ bunch coriander, leaves picked and chopped
- 1 large green chilli, seeded and chopped
- 4 teaspoons chopped galangal
- 2 tablespoons shaved palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) vegetable oil
- For the nam jim dressing, combine all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth then set aside.
- Combine the cucumber, fennel, fennel fronds, spring onion and chili in a bowl, then add the herbs and toss together gently.
- In a large bowl, toss the prawns with the vegetable oil to coat then season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the barbecue to its hottest setting or a chargrill plate over high heat. Grill the prawns for 3 minutes or until just cooked through, turning once. Remove from the heat, transfer to a large platter and season with pepper.
- Divide the salad among individual bowls and place on the table. Serve the prawns with lime halves to squeeze over, and the nam jim dressing on the side.