BEEF STEW WITH SUET DUMPLINGS
20 mintues prep.
2 hours 34 minutes cooking
- 800g Chuck beef (cut into a 2 inch dice)
- 50g Plain flour
- 4 Carrots
- 2 Brown onions
- 10 Clove garlic
- 250ml Red wine
- 1 Bouquet garni *
- 200g Button mushrooms
- 700ml Veal stock
- Vegetable oil
- 200g Self raising flour
- 100g Beef suet
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 100ml Water
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Place the beef in a bowl and season with salt and pepper, add the flour and toss together to coat the meat.
- Heat a fry pan over a high heat with a small amount of vegetable oil, add the beef and fry until well browned on all sides then remove the beef from the pan and drain in a colander.
- Heat a heavy based saucepan over a medium heat with a tablespoon of vegetable oil. Peel the onion, carrots and garlic and roughly chop then add to the saucepan and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Cook for 5 minutes until the vegetables are lightly browned. Pour in the red wine and reduce to a glaze this should take approximately 5 to 10 minutes. Add the beef and mushrooms then the veal stock and bring to the boil, skimming off any fat that forms on the surface.
- Add the *bouquet garni and place a lid on the saucepan then place in the oven for 2 hours.
- To prepare the dumplings, sieve the self-raising flour into a bowl then add the beef suet, chopped parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the water and mix together, if the dough is dry add a little more water; you should have sticky dough, divide the mix into 8 balls.
- After 1 hour and 15 minutes, remove the saucepan from the oven and place the dumplings on top of the beef stew.
- Replace the lid and return to the oven, cook for another 45 minutes (the dumplings will steam in the oven on top of the stew)
- Remove from the oven and serve.
- *A bouquet garni is a French term meaning "garnished bouquet" it is made up of a small bunch of herbs tied together with a string typically thyme, parsley and a bay leaf and is used for flavouring soups, stocks and stews.