Chicken katsu with curry sauce
10 mintes prep.
35 minutes cooking
- 2 tbs sunflower oil, plus extra to shallow fry
- 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tbs plain flour
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 3 tsp curry powder (we used madras)
- 2 cups (500ml) chicken stock
- 1 tsp honey
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2/3 cup (100g) plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (100g) panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp each black and white sesame seeds (optional)
- Shiso or rocket to serve
- Heat 2 tbs oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and carrot and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add 2 tbs flour, garam masala and curry powder, and stir through.
- Gradually add the chicken stock, stirring continuously until combined. Add the honey and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- Place chicken breasts between two pieces of baking paper, then flatten with a rolling pin. Place flour, egg and breadcrumbs in three separate bowls. Coat each breast in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs.
- Heat 2cm oil in a large frypan. Cook chicken on each side for 4 minutes or until crispy and cooked through. Remove from oil. Season with salt and sprinkle over sesame seeds.
- Serve with curry sauce and shiso salad.