Chiswick garden salad
Make the most of what's growing in the garden with this fresh and vibrant seasonal salad.
15 minutes prep.
2 hours cooking
- 1 large golden beetroot (substitute red beetroot)
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 radicchio, leaves separated
- 1 red witlof, leaves separated
- 100g mixed salad leaves (we used nasturtium, rocket and red vein sorrel)
- 1 bunch radishes, halved crossways
- 1 bunch asparagus, blanched, cooled, halved
- 2 heirloom baby beetroots, trimmed, very thinly sliced (we used a mandoline)
- Edible flowers (optional), to serve
Chiswick house vinaigrette
- 1 tbs Dijon mustard
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tbs chardonnay vinegar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) grapeseed oil
- Preheat oven to 180°c
- Place a golden beetroot on a piece of foil, drizzle with oil and wrap tightly. Cook for 2 hours or until tender when pierced with a skewer. Set aside to cool, then peel and thinly slice.
- Meanwhile, for the vinaigrette, place all ingredients in a bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Arrange roasted beetroot, radicchio, witlof, salad leaves, radish, asparagus and baby beetroot on a serving platter. Scatter with edible flowers, if using.
- Spoon over vinaigrette and serve immediately.