Corned Beef Sandwich
When you’re cooking your beef, make sure it’s completely submerged during the whole cooking process – you can top it up with extra water if you need to. Depending on the cut you use, you’ll need to simmer away for 2 to 3 hours – to check if it is cooked or not, insert a metal skewer though the center.
15 minutes prep.
3 hours cooking
- 1.5 kg pickled silverside, eye round or point-end brisket, rinsed
- 2 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 celery stalks coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 head of garlic, halved
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 12 thick slices sourdough bread
- Butter and seeded mustard, for spreading
- Sliced Gruyere
- ¼ Spanish onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 300 g cabbage, thinly shredded
- 200 g celeriac (about ½ celeriac), cut into julienne
- ½ cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1½ tablespoon white wine vinegar, or to taste
- 2 teaspoon seeded mustard
- 50 ml olive oil
- Combine the silverside, vegetables, herbs and spices in a large saucepan and cover generously with cold water.
- Bring to the boil and skim off any impurities from the surface and reduce the heat down to a medium. Half-cover the pan with a lid and simmer for a further 2 ½ to 3 hours until tender. Check the meat by inserting a skewer – it should slide straight through.
- Remove from the heat and stand in the liquid for an hour, then pull the meat out and slice across the grain.
- To make the celeriac slaw, combine the onion, garlic and lemon juice in a large bowl and stand for 2 to 3 minutes until the onion begins to turn pink and soften.
- Next add the cabbage, celeriac and parsley. Meanwhile, stir in the sour cream, vinegar and mustard to combine. Stir in the olive oil and season to taste.
- Add this to the cabbage mixture and season to taste, tossing well to combine.
- Heat a grill to high and toast the bread slices on one side. Spread half the bread slices with butter and set aside. Spread the remaining slices with the seeded mustard, top with cheese and grill until bubbling, then top with corned beef, and celeriac slaw.
- Sandwich with buttered bread slices and serve hot with extra mustard and with pickles if you like.