Crayfish Rolls with Marlborough Beurre Blanc
Featured in Delicious Magazine Issue 186, Oct 2018
5 minutes prep.
8-10 minutes cooking
- 1 x 600g raw crayfish/lobster
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/4 cup (60ml) white wine vinegar (I love Marlborough Sav Blanc)
- ½ cup (60ml) (125ml) pure (thin) cream
- 70g cold unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- Partially halved small brioche rolls
- Watercress to serve
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a rapid boil.
- Add crayfish, cover pan with a lid, and cook the crayfish for 8 minutes to cook through.
- Transfer crayfish immediately to a bowl of iced water and stand for 5 minutes
- Transfer to a chopping board, half lengthways and remove flesh (discard shell or reserve for later use such as a bouillabaisse stock)
- Meanwhile, to make the beurre blanc, place peppercorns, vinegar and white wine in a saucepan over high heat and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes or until reduced by half.
- Remove from the heat and gradually whisk in butter and lemon juice until all combined (add hot water, 1 tsp at a time to reach desired consistency if you like)
- Fill hotdog rolls with crayfish and drizzle with beurre blanc.
- Top with watercress to serve.