Crispy Buttermilk Chicken with Harissa Mayonnaise
- 4 Chicken Wings
- 4 Chicken Marylands (leg and thigh portions)
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ bunch thyme
- 300 Mls Butter Milk
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 300 g Spiced Flour
- 200g Harrisa Mayonnaise
- ¼ white Cabbage Shredded
- ¼ Chives Finely Chopped
- 1 shallot or spring onionFinely Sliced
- ¼ Bunch Dill Finely Chopped
- 80mls Classic Dressing
- 300g Plain Flour
- 8g Celery Salt
- 10g Cayenne Pepper
- 10g Onion Powder
- 10g All spice
- 100g Mayonnaise
- 25g Harrisa paste
- Using a sharp knife, cut the marylands at each joint to separate the thighs and drumsticks. Place in a large heavy-based saucepan or stockpot. Cut the wings at each joint to separate the winglets, drumettes and wing tips. Discard the wing tips and add the winglets and drumettes to the pan with enough water to cover all the chicken. Add the garlic, salt and thyme and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Gently simmer for 10 - 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Take off the heat and let the chicken cool in the liquid, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the harissa mayonnaise, put the mayonnaise and most of the harissa into a small bowl and whisk until combined. Transfer to a serving bowl, swirl over the remaining harissa, then cover and put into the fridge until ready to serve.
- To make the spiced flour, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the stock (strain the stock and keep for another use). Place the buttermilk in a bowl. Coat each piece of chicken in the buttermilk, then toss in the spiced flour to lightly dust.
- Preheat a deep-fryer to 180 degrees, or half-fill a heavy-based saucepan with vegetable oil and heat over medium-high heat to 180 degrees. Add the chicken, in batches if necessary to avoid crowing the pan, and fry for 3-4 minutes, until golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken to paper towel to drain.
- Combine the cabbage, chives, spring onion and dill in a bowl, then toss through the classic dressing. Serve with the chicken and harissa mayonnaise.