- 360g crème fraiche
- 300g gruyere cheese (grated)
- 50g Dijon mustard
- 8 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 16 slices thick-cut white bread
- 8 slices leg ham
- Oil for cooking
- Pre-heat the oven to 200˚c.
- In a bowl mix the crème fraiche, gruyere cheese and Dijon mustard together then season with salt and pepper.
- Spread a layer of this mixture on one side of two slices of the bread, put a slice of ham on the top of one of the slices and then put the other slice on top with the cheese side facing up.
- Repeat with the remaining slices of bread and cheese mixture.
- Lay the sandwiches on a baking tray and place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Melt a small nob of butter in a hot, non-stick frying pan over medium heat and fry the eggs for 2-3 minutes. Depending on the size of your frying pan, you may need to do this in two or more batches.
- Remove the sandwiches from the oven and place under a hot drill until brown.
- Serve immediately - or serve with a fried egg on top for a 'Croque Madame'.