Farro, pea and lettuce salad with charred lemon dressing
I often dress the grains with a little of the dressing while they’re still warm as this lets the flavours mellow slightly as it cools, and then I toss the fresh ingredients and a bit more of the dressing through at the end so they stay nice and crunchy and bright in colour.
15 minutes prep.
30 minutes cooking
- 300 gm farro
- 200 gm podded peas or frozen peas
- 200 gm sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 2 baby cos, outer leaves removed and coarsely torn, hearts cut into quarters
- ¾ cup each coarsely torn flat-leaf parsley and mint
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small lemon, ends trimmed, quartered
- 90 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Sherry vinegar, or to taste
- ½ garlic clove
- Pinch of sugar
- To make the roast lemon dressing, preheat a barbecue or char-grill to medium-high heat.
- Char-grill the lemon quarters, turning occasionally for 6-8 minutes until tender and lightly charred.
- Discard the seeds, then pulse in a small food processor with remaining ingredients to a rough dressing. Season to taste and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook farro in a large saucepan of boiling water for 20-25 minutes until tender, drain and spread on a tray to cool.
- Cook peas in a separate saucepan of boiling water for 2-3 minutes or until just tender then drain, refresh under cold running water. Drain well and combine in a bowl with the farro, herbs and spring onion, season to taste.
- Heat a barbecue or char-grill to medium-high heat.
- Drizzle lettuce hearts with a little oil and char-grill, turning occasionally, for 2-3 minutes until charred and slightly wilted.
- Add to farro mixture, drizzle with dressing to taste, toss to combine and serve.