5 minutes prep.
10 minutes cooking
- 3 eggs
- 100ml milk
- 300g firm ricotta
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Scraped seeds of ½ vanilla bean or ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Finely grated rind of 1 orange
- Pinch of ground cinnamon, plus extra to serve
- Pinch of salt
- 8 thick slices brioche or soft white bread
- 4 bananas, pealed, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 20g butter, diced
- Maple syrup, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180˚c.
- Whisk the eggs and milk into a bowl till combined then pour into a tray.
- Mix the ricotta, sugars, vanilla, orange rind, cinnamon and a pinch of salt into a bowl to combine, then spread the mixture thickly over half the bread slices.
- Top with sliced banana and then sandwich with the remaining bread slices.
- Place the bread in the egg mixture and stand to soak for 1 to 2 minutes, carefully turn and soak the remaining side.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan until the butter is foaming.
- Add the sandwich stack into the pan making sure to drain off any excess egg mixture and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown on the base. Carefully turn and cook on the remaining side for a further 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake until warmed through.
- Serve hot, topped with extra banana, scattered with a little cinnamon and drizzled with maple syrup.