This show-stopping layered ice cream cake which is inspired by a Christmas trifle.
15 minutes prep.
5 hours freezing cooking
- 3L caramel gelato, softened
- 1L vanilla gelato, softened
- 150g dark (plain or caramel flavoured)
- chocolate, chopped
- 170g paillete feuilletine (crispy wafer biscuit, from gourmet food shops) or plain wafer biscuits, crushed
- 2 Golden Gaytimes, finely chopped
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 4 cups caramel popcorn
- Spread 1.5L caramel gelato into the base of a 6L serving bowl.
- Freeze for 1 hour.
- Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water (don’t let bowl touch water), stirring until smooth.
- Add feuilletine and fold through chocolate to coat.
- Spread mixture onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and chill until set.
- Remove bowl from freezer.
- Crumble chocolate mixture and scatter half over caramel gelato with the Gaytimes.
- Spread over vanilla gelato, then freeze for a further 1 hour or until firm.
- Scatter with remaining chocolate crumb and top with remaining caramel gelato.
- Freeze for 4 hours or until very firm and set.
- To make popcorn praline, line a baking tray with foil and grease.
- Place sugar in a large frypan over high heat. Cook, shaking pan occasionally, for 6-7 minutes until a dark caramel forms.
- Stir through half the popcorn, remove from heat and pour onto tray.
- Cool completely, then break into shards.
- Place half the praline and 1 cup extra popcorn in a food processor.
- Whiz to coarse crumbs.
- Remove gelato from freezer just before serving.
- Liberally scatter praline, crumbs and remaining 1 cup caramel popcorn over the top of the gelato and serve immediately.