Jam Drop Biscuits
As seen in The Great Australian Bake Off on Foxtel's Lifestyle Channel, Thursdays 8:30pm AEST
- 300g fresh figs (about 7-8)
- 110g caster sugar
- 1 lemon, finely grated rind & 2 tbs juice
- 100g chilled unsalted butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 lemon, finely grated rind
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 250g plain flour
- Pinch Australian pink salt flakes
- Pure icing sugar, for dusting
- Pre-heat oven to 160°C fan-forced.
- For the fig jam, remove and discard stem from the figs. Roughly chop figs and place into a small chopper attachment and blend with stick blender until smooth. Transfer mixture to a bowl and combine with sugar, lemon rind and juice. Cover with cling film and stand until ready to use. (about 10 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, for the biscuit dough, combine butter, sugar, lemon rind and vanilla bean seeds in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat until white and fluffy. Add egg and egg yolk, beating well and scraping the bowl to make sure all is incorporated evenly.
- Meanwhile, sift dry ingredients together twice.Turn the mixer to the lowest speed and add the dry mixture and beat until dough just comes together. Scrape dough onto bench and bring together, place in a bowl and rest, covered, in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.
- To make the jam, place fig mixture into a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cook, stiring continuously for 4-5 minutes on a medium-low heat until mixture thickens, being careful of mixture spitting. (to at least 98°C). Remove from heat and push through a sieve placed over a bowl, let cool at room temperature, cover until needed.
- To bake the jam drops, line 2 oven trays with baking paper. Divide dough into 24, roll into balls and place among prepared trays. Make a litttle well in the center of the ball to make a hole. (Pressing down slightly with your finger or end of wooden spoon and making a 2cm hole.) Fill hole with ¼-½ teaspoon jam.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked.
- Transfer cooked biscuits to cooling rack to cool slightly, top up with ¼ teaspoon of jam, sprinkle with icing sugar and place on a rectangle serving plate.
- Enjoy! Don't forget to watch next week's episode for more recipes. The Great Australian Bake Off is on Foxtel's Lifestyle channel, Thursdays 8:30pm (AEST).