Lemon sorbet and burnt orange sandwiches
You will need a kitchen blowtorch.
20 minutes prep.
15 minutes cooking
- 1 orange, peeled, white pith removed,
- sliced into rounds
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 300g lemon sorbet
- Crumbled store-bought honeycomb, to serve
- 1/2 cup (60g) pure icing sugar, sifted
- 60g hazelnut meal
- 2 large eggwhites
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- 20g hazelnuts, crushed
- Preheat oven to 180°c.
- Line a 26cm square baking tray with baking paper.
- For the dacquoise, combine icing sugar and hazelnut meal in a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggwhites, cream of tartar and 1 tbs caster sugar until soft peaks form.
- Add remaining 1 tbs caster sugar and whisk until glossy.
- In three batches, gently fold through hazelnut mixture.
- Spread mixture in an even layer, about 5-10mm thick, over the lined baking tray and sprinkle with crushed hazelnuts.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Set aside to cool completely.
- To assemble, use an 8.5cm round biscuit cutter to cut 8 discs of hazelnut dacquoise
- Dust orange with caster sugar, then, using a kitchen blowtorch, brown until caramelised.
- Place a scoop of lemon sorbet on top of 4 dacquoise discs.
- Top with burnt orange slices and finish with a final round of dacquoise to make a sandwich.
- Sprinkle over honeycomb to serve.