As seen on Paddock to Plate Season 2
15 minutes minutes prep.
3 hours cooking
- 12 thick slices of rye bread
- 6 dill pickles, thinly sliced, plus extra whole pickles, to serve
- 100 gm sliced Gruyere
- 500 gm corned silverside
- 2 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, coarsely chopped
- ¼ large leek, washed and coarsely chopped
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- 250 ml (1 cup) white vinegar
- 2 tbsp rock salt
- 1 heaped tbsp white sugar
- 10 coriander seeds
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 whole clove
- ¾ long red chilli, finely chopped
- ¼ cabbage (about 500gm), finely sliced into a chiffonade
- 1 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2-3 shakes hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small eschallot, finely diced
- 1 tsp grated horseradish
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Pinch of sweet paprika
- To make the corned beef, combine the silverside in a large saucepan with the remaining ingredients, cover with plenty of cold water, bring to the boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer until tender (3 hours).
- Cool to room temperature for a few hours, then refrigerate overnight.
- To make the sauerkraut, combine all the ingredients except the cabbage in a saucepan with 1 litre of water, bring to the boil over medium-high heat, strain (discard solids), then return the liquid to the pan.
- Add the cabbage, season to taste, bring to the simmer and cook until the cabbage is tender (10-12 minutes), then cool the cabbage completely in the liquid.
- To make the Rueben dressing, combine the mayonnaise in a bowl with the ketchup, hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce, then add the eschallots, horseradish, lemon juice and paprika, season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and set aside.
- To assemble the Reuben sandwich, heat a sandwich press or grill plate and grill the bread on one side only.
- Drain the corned beef and slice thinly, then layer on half the grilled bread slices with the Gruyere, drained sauerkraut, sliced pickles and the Reuben dressing.
- Sandwich with the remaining slices of grilled bread and serve with an extra pickle on the side (optional).
- Enjoy this hearty sandwich on me!