Peanut and praline ice cream in a brandy snap basket
These lacy brandy snap baskets are very cute and can be rolled into a cylinder and filled with flavoured cream, mousse or ice cream. If you are making these delicate biscuits in summer, don’t prepare them too far in advance as the humidity will make them soft quite quickly.
15 minutes prep.
30 minutes cooking
- 500 ml milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 100 g castor sugar
- 300 g cream
- 200 g peanut praline
- 100 g sugar
- 50 ml water
- 200 g peanuts, roasted
- 120 g butter
- 140 g brown sugar
- 180 ml glucose
- 10 ml brandy
- 140 g flour
- Preheat the oven to 160°c.
- To prepare the brandy snap baskets, place the butter and brown sugar in a food processor for approximately 5 minutes until the butter turns into a light and fluffy consistency. Add in the glucose and brandy and then mix together until they are incorporated. Carefully fold through the flour and then refrigerate for an hour.
- Once the mixture has cooled, use a tablespoon to scoop out each portion, then using your hands, roll the mixture into a ball. Flatten each ball into a disc approximately 10cm in diameter. Repeat this process until you have used all of the mixture. Place the discs on a baking tray lined with grease proof paper and place in the oven for approximately 8 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 30 seconds. Carefully peel each disc from the tray, then placing it on an upside down mug, press the sides down to form a basket. Set aside to cool and set. Once they have set, store in an airtight container until required.
- To prepare the peanut praline, place the sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil to caramelise. Stir through the peanuts until they are coated with the caramel then remove from the heat. Pour the mixture into a lined baking dish and then allow to cool for approximately 30 minutes. Once the mixture has cooled, chop into small 5 mm squares.
- To prepare the ice cream, bring the milk to the boil in a saucepan and then remove from the heat. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until they become light and thick. Pour the milk into the egg mixture and then return to the saucepan placing it on a low heat. Continue to heat until the mixture coats the back of a spoon then strain into a bowl over an ice bath. Allow to cool.
- Once the mixture has cooled, stir through the cream and then pour the mixture into an ice cream machine. Churn the ice cream according to the manufacturer’s instructions. When the ice cream has thickened stir in three quarters of the peanut praline and then place in the freezer.
- To serve, place the brandy snap basket in the centre of a plate. Scoop balls of the peanut and praline ice cream into the basket, scatter over the remaining peanut praline and serve immediately.