Pepper-crusted ostrich with rocket and pecorino salad
As featured on Paddock to Plate Season 1
5 minutes prep.
10 minutes cooking
- 2 ostrich fan fillet (400g)
- 3 tablespoons black peppercorns, coarsely crushed in a mortar and pestle
- Grapeseed oil, for drizzling
- 200 g rocket
- 2 tablespoons good quality extra- virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 lemons
- Wedge of pecorino
- Edible flowers, such as violets or rosemary flowers (optional), to serve
- Preheat a fry pan or barbecue plate to a high heat. Roll each piece of ostrich fillet in the crushed peppercorns, sprinkle with sea salt to taste and drizzle with grapeseed oil.
- Place in fry pan on barbecue and cook, turning occasionally, to form a brown crust all over (7-8 minutes).
- Transfer to a plate and rest in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rinse rocket in iced water, drain well and transfer to a large bowl. Just before serving, drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice, then shave pecorino over the top, using a vegetable peeler to taste, toss to combine and season to taste.
- To Serve: Slice ostrich into medallions and arrange on a serving plate. Pile rocket and pecorino salad beside it, drizzle with a little extra olive oil and shave a little extra pecorino over.
- Scatter with edible flowers, if using, and serve with extra lemon wedges or cheeks to squeeze over.