Poached chicken in master stock
20 minutes prep.
1.5 hours cooking
- 1.8kg chicken (organic if possible)
- 2 bunches of baby bok choy
- 1.6 litres chicken stock
- 330ml light soy sauce
- 200ml rice wine vinegar
- 200g castor sugar
- 5cm knob of ginger, roughly chopped
- 2 star anise
- 3 cinnamon quills
- 60ml sherry vinegar
- 2 small chillies, cut in half
- 1 orange, peel only
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- 1/5 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 20ml peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 20ml rice wine vinegar
- freshly ground pepper
- Combine all the ingredients for the spring onion and ginger mix in a bowl.
- To prepare the master stock, place all the ingredients in a stockpot and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Bring to a boil and add the whole chicken, then reduce the heat and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat, cover with the lid and leave for 1.5 hours
- When ready to serve blanch the bok choy in salted, boiling water for 30 seconds, then refresh in ice water.
- Cut the chicken into pieces and serve with the bok choy, the spring onion and ginger mix, and some steamed rice.