RED LENTIL DHAL
10 minutes prep.
30 minutes cooking
- 400 ml can coconut milk
- 230 gm red lentils, rinsed, drained
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 40 gm finely grated ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp Madras curry powder
- 2 cinnamon quills
- 12 fresh curry leaves
- 2 long green chillies, thinly sliced
- Juice of 2 limes, or to taste
- 200 ml coconut cream, plus extra to serve
- Coarsely chopped coriander, to serve
- 2 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 1 tsp dried red chilli flakes
- Pinch of garam masala
- Combine coconut milk, lentils, onion, ginger, garlic, turmeric, curry powder, cinnamon, curry leaves and chilli in a saucepan with 500ml water.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat to a medium and simmer, leave covered until lentils are tender and broken down (10-15 minutes).
- Squeeze in lime juice, add coconut cream and season generously to taste.
- For the tadka, melt the coconut oil in a saucepan over a medium heat, add garlic, mustard seeds, chilli and garam masala and fry for 2-3 minutes until fragrant, and then stir half into the lentil mixture.
- Ladle dhal into bowls, drizzle with extra coconut cream, spoon over remaining tadka and serve hot scattered with chopped coriander and serve with lime wedges.