Roast beetroot with baked ricotta and hazelnuts
10 minutes prep.
55 minutes cooking
Serves 4 as a side dish
- 3 bunches baby beetroot – use a mix of golden and red if you can
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 50 ml red wine vinegar
- 1 ½ garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- Finely grated rind and juice of ½ orange, juice set aside
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon hazelnut oil
- 1 large beetroot, peeled and cut into julienne
- 40 g roasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup torn flat-leaf parsley
- 200 g firm ricotta
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- ¼ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- Preheat the oven to 200˚c.
- Trim off the leaves and most of the stalks from the baby beetroots, reserving any of the small tender leaves by soaking the leaves in iced water to refresh and remain crisp.
- Wash off any grit from the beetroots, scrub and cut into halves.
- Place beetroot at one end of a large sheet of foil and add a couple of thyme sprigs. If you’re using a mix of beetroots, keep the colours separate and make two parcels to avoid staining the lighter coloured beetroot.
- Combine olive oil, 1 tablespoon of vinegar, half the garlic and the orange rind into a bowl, seasoning to taste and pour over the beetroots. Fold the foil over and fold the edges in tightly to seal everything in well to make a parcel.
- Place onto baking trays and roast for 40 to 45 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, to make the baked ricotta, spread the ricotta on a baking tray lined with baking paper and drizzle with olive oil, scatter the lemon rind and chilli flakes over the top and season generously to taste.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until it becomes dark and golden brown on the edges then set aside.
- Add extra-virgin olive oil, hazelnut oil, and orange juice, remaining vinegar and remaining garlic into a jar to combine, seasoning well to taste. Arrange the roast beetroot on a platter, drizzling with some of the roasting liquid from the beetroot parcels.
- Scatter with baked ricotta, raw beetroot, hazelnuts, beetroot leaves and torn parsley.
- Drizzle with dressing and serve warm.