Rockmelon and ginger granita
10 minutes plus freezing time prep.
5 minutes cooking
- 165 gm caster sugar
- 80 ml water
- 1 medium rockmelon, peeled, seeds scooped out, flesh coarsely chopped
- 375 ml good quality ginger beer
- 50 gm fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely grated
- Juice of 2 limes, or to taste
- Stir sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Blend the rockmelon and half the ginger beer in a blender for a minute or two to a fine puree, then strain through a sieve.
- Stir in remaining ginger beer and add the sugar syrup to taste. Squeeze the juice of the grated ginger into the rockmelon mixture using a fine sieve (discard the solids), then stir in the lime juice to taste.
- Pour into a metal tray or cake tin and freeze overnight, scraping with a fork every so often to form ice crystals. Cover and freeze until required and scrape again with a fork so the ice crystals are nice and fluffy.
- Granita will freeze well for a couple of weeks!