TOFU AND SPINACH POTSTICKERS
20 minutes prep.
15 minutes cooking
Serves 4 as a snack
- 120gm coarsely grated firm tofu
- 75gm Chinese spinach, finely chopped
- 2 long green shallots, thinly sliced, plus extra to serve
- 2 tsp finely grated ginger
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1½ tbsp vegetable oil
- Roasted sesame seeds, to serve
- 140gm plain flour
- 125ml boiling water
- 2 tbsp black Chinese vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp roasted chilli paste
- Pinch of sugar
- To make the dumpling dough, combine flour and a pinch of salt in a bowl, add water and mix with a fork to bring together to a soft dough – add a little extra flour if needed.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 6-8 minutes until smooth and elastic – you might want to put on disposable gloves as the dough is very hot at this stage.
- Place in a bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and rest for 20 minutes.
- While the dough is resting, combine tofu, spinach, shallots, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, Shaoxing and sesame oil in a bowl and season to taste.
- Knead dough for another 5 minutes then divide into 16 even pieces and roll each into a ball. Roll out each ball as thin as you can (1-2mm) and trim edges with a 10cm cutter.
- Place on a tray and cover with a damp tea towel. Working with 1 round at a time, spoon 2 tsp filling to one side, brush edges or spray lightly with water then fold in half and seal edges, pleating and pinching the dough to seal as you go.
- Heat oil in a large heavy non-stick frying pan large enough to hold the dumplings in a single layer over medium-high heat, add dumplings and cook for 2-3 minutes until bases begin to turn golden brown.
- Add 80ml water, cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 12 minutes, checking water level occasionally and topping up with a little extra water if it’s boiled dry – the wrappers should become slightly translucent.
- Meanwhile, combine dipping sauce ingredients and serve with potstickers, scattered with spring onion and sesame seeds.