TOMATO,GINGER AND CHILLI CHUTNEY
5 minutes prep.
30 minutes cooking
Serves 1 Litre
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, finely diced
- 50g finely grated ginger
- 2 long red chillies, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 800g ripe tomatoes
- 250ml tomato passata
- 80ml apple cider vinegar
- 55g caster sugar
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat, add onion, ginger, chilli and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally for 4-5 minutes until tender, translucent and fragrant.
- Stir in mustard seeds and cook for 30-40 seconds until they begin to pop.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes and passata and bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes until tomatoes break down completely.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper and stir in the vinegar and sugar, then simmer for another 10-15 minutes until thick and rich.
- Pulse with a hand-held blender or in a food processor to a sauce consistency, then transfer to sterilised bottles or jars, seal and cool to room temperature and refrigerate for at least 2 days for flavours to develop.
- Chutney will keep refrigerated for up to 2 months.