winter bean soup
This soup is perfect for those chilly winter evenings.
15 minutes prep.
30 minutes cooking
- 100g smoked pancetta, rind removed and chopped
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 5 sage leaves, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 400g can cherry tomatoes
- 1L reduced salt chicken stock
- 400g can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 400g can borlotti beans, rinsed and drained
- 100g ditalini (or other small pasta)
- ½ bunch cavolo nero, stalks removed and chopped
- Toasted ciabatta, chopped flat-leaf parsley and grated parmesan to serve
- Place the pancetta and oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Once it begins to sizzle, cook for 3-4 minutes until golden.
- Add the sage and cook for a further minute. Add the carrot, onion, celery and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened, then add the tomatoes and chicken stock. Season and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the beans, pasta and 1 cup (250ml) water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 6-8 minutes until pasta is tender. Add the cavolo nero and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Season to taste, top with parsley and parmesan, then serve with toasted ciabatta.