WINTER LEMON TART
15 minutes prep.
45 minutes cooking
- 200gm plain flour
- 125gm chilled butter, diced
- 60gm icing sugar, sieved
- ½ lightly beaten egg, the rest reserved for egg wash
- Finely grated rind of ½ lemon
- 6 eggs
- 300gm caster sugar
- 300ml lemon juice
- Finely grated rind of 1½ lemons
- 200ml pouring cream
- 100gm crème fraiche or sour cream
- To prepare the lemon pastry, process flour, butter and icing sugar in a food processor until fine crumbs form, add the ½ lightly beaten egg, lemon rind and process until mixture just comes together.
- Turn onto a lightly floured work surface and bring together with the heel of your hand, form into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm (2-3 hours).
- Roll out on a lightly floured work surface to 2mm thick and line a lightly 26cm-diameter tart tin, refrigerate for 30 minutes until firm, then trim edges and line with baking paper and baking weights.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs, sugar, lemon juice and rind, cream and crème fraiche in a bowl to combine, stand for 30 minutes to settle, then skin off the frothy top.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C and blind bake the tart for 12-15 minutes until it becomes lightly golden, remove weights and brush the pastry with the egg wash.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown (if any cracks appear in the pastry, patch with a little of the pastry trimmings).
- Reduce the oven to 150˚C.
- While the pastry case bakes, transfer lemon mixture to a saucepan and stir continuously over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until mixture is hot, then strain into the pastry case.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until filling is just set, and then cool to room temperature.
- Serve dusted with icing sugar.